10.19.2008

YES on 8!

Friends and Family – I write to you as a wife and mother. Many of you know about California’s Proposition 8 – to Restore and Protect Marriage and Family; defining marriage as between a man and woman. I have actively been working on this campaign since the beginning of August. It has been an opportunity to reaffirm belief in my own marriage and family. What a choice and sacred responsibility is mine, together with Brandon, to raise and nurture Christian, Elyse, and Grant.
I have been in the trenches, gathering and orienting volunteers to get the message of YES on 8 out to voters, I have been given weekly updates by the Coalition, have prepared canvassing packets, made 100’s of phone calls and sent MANY e-mails to those who are working with me. However, I felt I needed to address you – my friends. Why a YES on 8? 3 simple reasons: *Restores the definition of marriage to what 61.4% of California voters already approved in 2000. *Overturns the decision of 4 activist Supreme Court judges who ignored the will of the people. *Protects our children from being taught in public schools that “same-sex marriage” is the same as traditional marriage.
I have long been active in political causes, but nothing has affected me has deeply as this campaign. Why, because I am wife, a mom, and a woman. The thought of having marriage redefined and in reality diluted, causes me a heavy heart and a feeling of sadness. What will be next, what will my children have to contend with, why has tolerance become something that includes acceptance of anything and everything? A friend of mine related what he was taught on the subject of tolerance by a professor. The professor shared that tolerance would become twisted by society so that if you dare to stand up for what you believe others may accuse you of being intolerant. He also shared this quote - "Be wary, therefore, when some demand public tolerance for whatever their private indulgences are!" Neal Maxwell
A YES vote on Proposition 8 is not an attack on the gay community. Prop 8 does not take away any rights or benefits from domestic partnerships. It simply preserves traditional marriage.
I share the feelings of another friend who wrote, “Marriage is sacred and has been ordained of God before the foundation of this world. Marriage is LINKED to the power of procreation. This power, to create life and bring God’s spirit children into the world, is sacred and precious. Strong, stable families, headed by a father and mother, are the anchor of civilized society.”
I ask that you take the time to research and pray about Proposition 8, its effect on children and families – our society, and then VOTE YES to restore and preserve marriage between a man and a woman. Pass on the call to action to your friends and family – let your voice be heard! Join me on November 4th in voting YES for MARRIAGE AND FAMILY. If you have questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask me.
For more information, please visit these sites: http://www.protectmarriage.com/, http://www.preservingmarriage.org/.

5 comments:

Heidi and Rich said...

Amen - Stephanie. You couldn't have said it better. I hope and will pray that this passes and even more importantly that people will understand the issues and feel good about voting yes on Prop 8.

lacey said...

I second that. Everything you try and do you ALWAYS do so well. Your efforts here are of perfect example. Keep it up... but, I know you will.

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

I too love that quote by Elder Maxwell. It applies to SO many issues!

Monica said...

YES!! I have been talking to everyone about it and thank goodness its all been positve. It just makes me sick to think of how confused people are by "tolerance" and standing up for morality. If you need me to make more calls, send a list to cubs on Wed. night!!

Kathi said...

So Stephanie I am really proud of you doing so much work. I am grateful to know my family has such strong testimonies. I was so dissapointed to hear about Steve Young and his wife. I would love to help however I can if their is anything a Utahan can do let me know.