2.26.2008

Me Complain - NEVER!

So - I feel like a good old complain fest. I like to stay upbeat and positive for the most part, but every once in a while you just need to get it out and complain, just like a nice cry - but I will save that for another post!

By the way - all you have to do if you comment on this post is to share a complaint that you have. You don't have to give me high fives or anything.

For starters - my daughter, Sassy (on her naughtier days I like to call her Saucy), is pure drama! I am going to start taping her conversations with me and her friends - not to mention the imaginary phone calls that are pure hilarity. Why was I blessed with such estrogen in my home? She thoroughly enjoys testing me on ANYTHING & EVERYTHING - she is giving me a run for my money. Her rolling of the eyes is already mastered at the sweet age of 4 and her independence is to be envied by most adults. And my biggest complaint of all - her dad can't get mad at her, he just laughs at her 'cute' sayings and thinks she needs to be in commercials. So of course - who ends up always being the 'meannie' during the battles - MOM!

On to illness - I am tired of washing Grant's clothes, my clothes, and every blanket or towel near by because of Grant's chronic diarrhea. His poor bum (which is healing now) was raw and oh so sad - I tried everything - I even tried letting him hang out with no diaper to allow a little breathing/drying time for his bum and of course what happened - he ended up blowing out all over my carpet - not once, but several times. I know, I should have learned my lesson the 1st time? Not to mention the horrible smell that resides in my car right now because every time we step foot outside the house to run errands he ends up blowing up, down, and out ALL OVER! I have aired out, cleaned the car seat, and invested in several odor eating devises to no avail. This has been going on on and off for OVER A WEEK! No other symptoms - could it really be his silly teeth that are coming in - 4 at one time?

A friend's blog was paying homage to LOST and I just want to say - I am feed up with LOST. I just want to know what is going on!!!? Each week we watch, Brandon has to listen to well over an hour of "I can't take this much longer" "I don't think I can watch this anymore." "Are you kidding me?" Seriously, they have reeled us all in and now they are just baiting us along - if it ends up being dinosaurs or aliens I will be SO MAD!

Why do I dislike cooking so much - seriously, food is overrated. I wish I lived with the Jetson's who could just order up their food and out it came. I hate my sisters because they are always coming up with new recipes and they really cook - not just throw some strange dish together. It seems that dinner time sneaks up on me once a day and I am not ready to deal with the cooking - so what do I do, I call Brandon and have him pick up something on the way home. I go through spurts where I have meals all planned out and they are new and exciting and I enjoy it and then I get back into the slump. I am ready to turn over a new leaf or just get meals delivered like the movie stars!

Why is it that each day feels like Groundhogs Day? I go, go, go and yet at the end of the day I think what did I do today? I then head to bed, only to do it all over again the next day! No, I'm not looking for adventure or spice in my life, or awards and accolades. I just want to know that what I'm doing is making a difference for someone and not just going through the motions.

Why can't I get a book read - I feel guilty when I sit down to read - so I quickly hop up and start cleaning or working on some project that needs my attention. I wish I could force myself to take a minute and read and force my brain to take a rest.

I'm almost done, really! Why does Bakersfield lack shopping options? Seriously - when I visit my family in Vegas or the Bay area they think all I do is shop, all day, every day. The truth is - the only stores I frequent in Bako. are Target and Mervyn's - so my choices are endless when I am out of town. We get so excited here for the opening of Banana or Sephora - truth be told, I still prefer the out of town versions of the same stores - they're just more appealing.

AH! I feel much better - thanks for indulging me!

Enjoy a few pictures of the kiddos with their cousins!



I have to tell you about the last 2 - I was having a meeting a few weeks ago and the kids were having the run of the house. Elyse and her friends were helping themselves to all the goodies in the pantry- one of the visitor's opened up a chocolate pudding, took one bite and then left it at Grant's reach. My back was to the family room and I thought it was rather quite and when I turned around this is what I found - Grant indulging in pure chocolate delight - he was doing quite well with the spoon.

12 comments:

Zach and Stacie said...

how the heck did he keep his clothes clean? steph--you are a great mom, cook, and example. i could make a huge list of all my favorite foods you make, but i will just stick with a few: mashed potatoes, chicken enchiladas, and white chili. i do sometimes think you are a shopaholic, but i love it because i benefit when you purge. and about your crazy children...i will be home in 2 months so you can just hand them over to me when you get overwhelmed. remember that we all think you are amazing regardless of how clean your house is or how much work you get done. take a break and read...i have way too many suggestions for this comment, but one fun read that can totally relax your brain is fannie flagg's "standing in the rainbow". i love you.

Carla said...

I have another example of Elyse's sass. During our Valentine's Day "party" she and James were bickering over something silly (like an event in a Disney movie or something). So, I told them, "you know I bet someday when you're all grown up you'll realize that you really love each other. Maybe you'll even get married." To which Elyse replied, (with her hand on her hip) "Yeah right. Like that will ever happen!" I do completely understand how Brandon wouldn't be able to get her in trouble...she's adorable! I guess it won't be so adorable when she's 13 though so good luck with that haha.

Mandee said...

Grant is so cute, I want to eat him up! Thanks for posting new pictures. And every girl just needs to let it out every once in a while. Don't be so down on Lost, though. It is so good! And lastly, I hear ya on dinner issues. I struggle with the same thing. Which is why we had Cafe Rio Friday AND Saturday night.

Heidi and Rich said...

I love it!!! The chocolate pudding is my favorite part...he and Sam are both fond of chocolate pudding!!! Quiet is never a good sign around any mother's home unless the kids are asleep!! Don't think that I am always prepared with great meals - by the way - I hate making dinner. I would honestly prefer take-out but since Rich eats out for lunch he rarely wants to go out. I would eat out all three meals if you want the real truth!! I too wonder every night what the heck I accomplished that day and rarely can come up with anything better than I organized this and cleaned that. I hope you know that I look up to you...seriously - you do so much at the school and in the community. I need an outlet like that.

Amy Coontz said...

We had Little Ceaser's Pizza on Mon, (I LOVE the $5 hot n ready) and taco bell on tues - too many places to be for me to cook!!

Wild Rasmussen said...

Well it is about time you compain about soomething. I have beeen there and know how you are feeling I'm the enchiment leader which keeps me very busy and having 5 kids that are very busy them selfs I some times feel really bad when I sit down becuase I knoe that there is some that is needing to be done but I have gotten to the point where I just can't be that perfect mother and wife. After having Hesston I get to sit down with out feeling so babd because I'm doing some thing the boy has to eat!!! well you made my day with thi post I love ya girl!! Cindy Rasmussen

Jill said...

I am SOOO with you on the sassy girl thing - isn't this like way too young? Gracie steals things from movies though. The other day she took her shoes off and set them by the shoe basket rather than in it and I told her to put them where they belong and she turned around with her hand on her hip and said "Why don't you go under water and I will count to a million!" (Princess Diaries #2) She doesn't even know what she is saying she just understands the context of when to use it. What are we going to do????? And in a couple months I will have THREE girls!
Oh and by the way ...I am excited about your camp calling. You will really like it!

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

I love Grant's pictures - I've been waiting for his moments of exploring being captured on camera!

As for meals, I just thought tonight, I'm a negligent wife/mother...I hate to cook and Jordan has been left to fend for himself all too often! I have to say that you manage to get much done, even if it is not on a checklist or validated by others! I don't know how you've done so much for so long, Mrs. "organized and labeled" in every area of your home!

...What's this about a camp calling...I'm intrigued. Sounds fun!

lacey said...

So I had to stop and think about this... partly because I think I have hardly ever (if ever) heard you "vent" about the routines of being a mother. Things that put me at my max are just the start of what you seem to accomplish! I cannot believe how often you are solicited or offer your services in different areas. You do every last one of them to it's very fullest- you have very high standards.

As for the book thing. Even signing up for the Hinckley Challenge made me hesitate- but I have kept up. A big accomplishment for me.

One more thing. A couple weeks ago at night I did some escapeism and went to Barnes & Nobles. I was drinking my hot coco and browsing books and stumbled upon this one by Jane Clayson, "I am a Mother." Excellent! I bought it- it captured my thoughts and inspired me in my role. You probably have it- if not READ IT.

one more thing- I think you need a girls weekend to SF;)

Peter FNFN said...

HAHA... sucks for you.
i should make a post of my complaints.
#1 the beach that's 80 yards from my bedroom was too overcast this week
#2 i don't have any more midterms for the rest of my life, but i do have finals in 2 weeks
#3 why can't i have a cook in my house?
#4 i wish it wasn't so cold in my house!
#5 i hate living on a student's budget. sucky

ok, i'm done

Peter FNFN said...

another one or two
#6 why won't you send me a meal of your famous bbq chicken and mashed potatoes?!
#7 why don't I benefit when you splurge?

Peter FNFN said...

and lastly....
1. i'm gonna have a chocolate pudding fest with the kiddos in Las Vegas on Gen Conf weekend.
2. LOST is amazing! there a few leaked videos on youtube that should peak your interest... and abc put up some Lost Mobisodes, that give insights into previous seasons... almost like deleted scenes... they're sweet!
3. You, Nikki, and Heidi are horrible! I'm so disappointed to hear that you don't love cooking! I love it, but don't have the time or money to do it. plus you're all 3 good cooks... but must like shirking that part of your calling, ehe? ha