8.19.2007

Addiction

My name is Stephanie and I am an addict. Do not start laughing or judging, this is a serious addiction and I am crying out for help! My addiction is Dr. Pepper, oh the sweet nectar, I can taste it as I write this. I could have a drip inserted in my arm and that still wouldn't quench my full addiction. You ask why Dr. Pepper -because of the delicious and wonderful taste, it is SO GOOD. I do not waste my calories on other beverages, it is either H2O or Dr. Pepper.

I have tried to curb my appetite for the drink - I have gone cold turkey, I have tried cutting back to 2 - 12oz. cans, heaven forbid even 1, but I always fall flat. I actually get upset - I ask myself, why can't I stop? why do I love it so much? why, why, why? It is my one vice in life. I feel at times like I have to 'sneak' the drink. I walk into my local sandwich shop and they already have a large DP w/ light ice ready for my partaking. Well actually they switched to Mr. Pibb and I wasn't very happy about that decision, but I make do.

This addiction can cause stress on my family - no one's happy until mom gets her Dr. Pepper. My children are fully aware of my gravitation to the dark red can. My husband has tried to plan an intervention, but to no avail. My family makes fun of me and my dad wonders why I can't just switch to Diet - groddy. Recently I have experimented with 3/4 Dr. Pepper and 1/4 Diet - but nothing is as good as 100% DP.

If any of you out there have a solution to my addiction - please share. I am not sure that I want to go cold turkey, maybe just cut back SLOWLY.

Signed - Need Helper for my Dr. Pepper!


16 comments:

Monica said...

Steph- I know you can do it. I have been clean(Pepsi was my vice)for about 10 years. I fell off the wagon once, but then remembered why I quit in the first place...I don't like being controlled by something other than myself!! If you feel the need, just call me and I'll talk you through it.

Jaime said...

this is so funny because Michaael and I had this conversation the other day. I love Dr. Pepper and there is nothing better our that will substitute it. I have been thinking of cutting back but then I Think about it all day. I have cut down to twice a week but let me tell you when I get it I am so happy the rest of the day. If you think of anything really good that works you let me know.

Mandee said...

I have the same issue with Diet Coke. But I've found that if I tell myself that I can't have it, then I want it more. So, I allow myself to enjoy my "sweet nectar" when I go out to eat, or when I am having a crappy day. It works for me!

Good luck! And I think Diet DP is great- it's my 2nd choice when DC isn't an option!

Heidi and Rich said...

I do have to agree that there isn't any other soda that tastes as good as a DP but a girls got to do what a girls got to do. I think the diet is good but that is because I worry about all the calories in the real thing. Since you don't have to worry about that as much maybe it is not incentive enough for you to switch. I do know yo are strong enough - it will be hard but if you really want to do it just go cold turkey!! You'll have a bad week with headaches and all but then it will be over!!

Heidi and Rich said...

By the way while I was reading your blog Sammy decided he was done with lunch and smeared jello pudding all over himself and then the bowl off his chair. This is what I get for my blog addiction!!

lacey said...

I smiled all the way to the school bus about this post- especially about DP being a "nectar".

Thirstin' for Thurstons said...

I cant help you, iam totaly addicted to DIET COKE! And i have just decided that im OK with it. OH well, life goes on :)

Carla said...

I'm with Nathalie, I'm a pepsi addict and I don't care anymore!!! I do see where Monica is coming from and have felt that way in the past but anyway that IS your only vice...you just may be perfect in every other way, so I wouldn't beat myself up over it if you do drink one.

Peter FNFN said...

that's it... time for a man's opinion here.
1. you're being a sissy.
2. substitute? jack daniel's.
3. i quit snak-pak's in 6 days.... how you ask? i'm a poor college student and i have will power.

grow up.

HAHA - that was fun.

Abby said...

OMG Stephanie, I just went through the same thing! I tried and tried to quit but I just couldn't do it! I craved the Pepper even more! So one day I didn't have one, then the next day I didn't have one, then the craving died! I am going on my 2nd week of no Pepper (I did break down and have one the other day at Taco Bell, but it was gross). I know it's really hard to believe that it can be gross but it can be! I had the Pepper like 2 times a day! So all I can say is stop trying to quit and one day you just won't want it anymore. It won't taste good (crazy I know)!
Good Luck! Best wishes on the Pepper!

Jane said...

My name is Jane and I'm an addict...Pepsi or Coke, sometimes it doesn't matter which, as long as it's ice cold. I've been able to wean myself to 1 can a day, but I'm irritable and biting my nails the rest of the time! Maybe I'll have to call Monica to talk me through it!

Heidi and Rich said...

Now that Heidi has left two comments, I figured you need to hear from a fellow DP lover.

First, as you can tell from the enourmous response to your call from help--Mormons never lack advise for solving others problems.

Second, the only answer to your query is to imagine what happens when you drink too much soda (aka DP). I belive Pam and Jim of The Office described it best in the Heathcare episode:

Pam: So like, let’s say that my teeth turn to liquid...
Jim: Hmm...
Pam: ...and then, they drip down the back of my throat, what would you call that?
Jim: I thought you said you were inventing diseases. That’s spontaneous dental hydroplosion.
Pam: Oh, nice.
Jim: Thank you.

That is what happens when you drink too much Dr. Pepper. Your teeth will turn to liquid because of the suger. Good luck and may we enjoy this choice beverage when we visit you.

Andrew Waite said...

i too am an DP addict, however, i have no desire what so ever to quit! ha! you're on your own!

David and Amanda said...

Steph...I guess the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem and you've got that covered. I know you can kick the habit, there are much harder things you've done, I'm sure of it! I think it's like any successful diet...if you relapse, you can't let it ruin all the hard work you've already done, just start right back...soon enough you'll be over it!

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

I sure have gotten a kick out of everyone's opinions. I had no idea the world was plagued with so many recovering addicts!! just kidding ... Good luck!

Williams Family Dirt said...

I know this is an old post, but I had to comment...I am a Dr. Pepper addict and nothing tastes better. I have tried mixing with diet so I wouldn't have so many calories, but it is very hard. I also buried it at Big Meadow. Why worry about it there are far worse "sins" if it is even a sin to drink Dr. Pepper. As long as it is "used in moderation" I see no problem with it. Besides, if Momma ain't happy nobody's happy!